There is so much bizarre randomness coming out of Donald’s mouth and the administration as whole, that we have decided to label this episode of As The Donald Turns “WTH?” That of course is What the Heck. This is, after all, a clean operation.
• The talking heads for the White House, particularly Kellyanne Conway and Sarah Huckabee Sanders, constantly whine that the media will not focus on the messages they are trying to get out, because they are obsessed with Russia and investigations. Maybe they ought to consider that their boss, Donald, has the biggest attention deficit when it comes to staying on message. This week was supposed to be “Made in America” week where he duped the American worker into believing what he was selling. But after being mocked for not even manufacturing his own products with American workers, and after having his health care bill hit the skids, Donald gave an interview to the New York Times….yes, the one he often refers to as “The Failing New York Times.” So he hates them until he needs them. The interview had some moments where you had to say “WTH!!!!”
Donald said if he had known Jeff Sessions was going to recuse himself from the Russia investigation, he never would have hired him. That of course indicates Donald could have known in advance there was a reason for Sessions to recuse himself. If Sessions had any dignity, he would realize he has been undermined and he would quit. Then we remember it is Sessions and the dignity train left the station long ago.
Donald said they are close on a new health care deal. Of course they are not, as everything Ted Cruz or Rand Paul tries to add in just drives away more of the moderates. And then he added, “Pre-existing conditions are a tough deal. Because you are basically saying from the moment you start the insurance, you’re 21 years old, you start working and you’re paying $12 a year for the insurance and by the time you are 70 you get a nice plan. Here’s something where you walk up and say ‘I want my insurance.’ It’s a very tough deal but we’re doing a good job of it.” Let me add in a OMG to my WTH. Probably the most incoherent rambling about health insurance since earlier in the day when he talked about it.
He warned that Robert Mueller crossing the line would be a problem. What is that line? Looking into Trump family finances as they pertain to Russia and any business dealings that are an entanglement. They are a legitimate part of any investigation but Donald warned that it would be problematic. Not sure if he meant for himself and the crime syndicate he calls a family, or if he meant for Mueller.
• By Thursday afternoon, it was time to mandate the media get back to following Donald’s great economic plans. Sarah Huckabee Sanders held the White House press briefing and focused in on MAGA-Nomics. Yes they are calling it Make America Great Again Economics. She even brought visual aids for the podium to show how serious they are. WTH, Sarah! This was an audio only press briefing. Who do you think was going to see your Office Depot level visual aids? One reporter snuck a picture on their camera phone. Based on the positioning of the picture and knowing where reporters sit, I am looking at Hallie Jackson from MSNBC. Seriously, how can the staff expect Donald to stay on message when the messaging team can’t get the simplest of “WTH” things straight?
• Even the former president of Mexico is laughing at Donald not being able to hold it together. Vicente Fox tweeted Thursday:
@VicenteFoxQue 21h21 hours ago
“@realDonaldTrump how’s your week going? Celebrating America with stuff made abroad still?”
And with that he posted a picture of Donald wearing a red Make America Great Again hat….that was made in Mexico. Nothing like being trolled on social media by other world leaders.
• Back to that New York Times interview for a moment. Donald not reflected on the health care plan and the investigation that will ultimately end his presidency prematurely, but he also wanted to focus on great successes like his recent trip to Poland prior to the G20 Summit.
“I have had the best reviews on foreign land. So I go to Poland and make a speech. Enemies of mine in the media, enemies of mine are saying it was the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil by a president. You saw the reviews I got on that speech. Poland was beautiful and wonderful, and the reception was incredible.”
WTH????????? No one, and I mean NO ONE, outside your own inner circle, said it was the greatest speech ever made on foreign soil by a president. Do you hear me, Mr. President? I am saying NO ONE. Kennedy’s “Ich bin ein Berliner” speech in 1963; Reagan’s Berlin Wall speech in 1987; Donald Trump saying nothing memorable in Poland in 2017. Which one of these does not belong?
• There is a shakeup brewing inside the White House and it is not pretty. The new lineup of lawyers for Donald shows that barrister Marc Kasowitz, Trump’s longtime personal attorney who has been the lead lawyer on the Russia investigation, will be taking second chair…or third…or fourth. This comes after he threatened a complete stranger via email earlier this week. After reading an article about Kasowitz, someone sent him an email saying he should resign. Not that he went over the top or anything, but Kasowitz responded via email, (language warning).
“I’m on you now. You are fucking with me now Let’s see who you are Watch your back , bitch. Call me. Don’t be afraid, you piece of shit. Stand up. If you don’t call, you’re just afraid. I already know where you live, I’m on you. You might as well call me. You will see me. I promise. Bro.”
John Dowd, the lawyer who spent two years investigating Pete Rose in the late 1980’s, is now the lead attorney, Ty Cobb is also being added to the roster. Yeah, seriously, Ty Cobb and the guy who brought down Pete Rose on one team. No, not the racist Ty Cobb baseball player from the early 1900’s. The lawyer who was passed over twice for US Attorney in Baltimore in the 1980’s. Jay Sekulow will continue as the counselor with no credibility for TV appearances.
They are likely to be very busy as, according to the Washington Post Thursday night, Donald has begun researching how to pardon family members and close associates for any aspect they may be involved in the Russia investigation. He is also, allegedly, looking into how to pardon himself. Wait, hasn’t he been telling us this was all fake news? WTH??